Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A stupid person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘Please keep up the good work, including your relative distance from the Labor Party hack jackasses.’
- ‘Hey beautiful… don't worry about the jackasses in the school, tomorrow you will be loved again.’
- ‘He's a jackass with a cocky attitude, and he's the reason why you and I have barely seen each other over the last month.’
- ‘So then, I lined up the shot and it would've been a great goal but then some jackass from the other team sent a kick toward my knee and sent me sprawling to the ground.’
- ‘First, you had every right to break up with me because I was a complete jackass and a moron and you had every right.’
2A male ass or donkey.
- ‘If he had the ears of a horse he'd look like a jackass.’
- ‘He could tame a stallion, breed a jackass, lead an army and charm the ladies.’
- ‘Normally I'd view these matters with detachment, but to find a race-horse among jackasses is an exciting thing, and a great occasion for the empire.’
3Australianshort for laughing jackass
- ‘To escape the monotony, some diggers managed to find an alternative source of meat native game. Parrots and cockatoos, baked in a pie, were a popular dish, and possums and echidna were also sampled. Some were even known to dine on ‘jackass’ (kookaburra) pie.’
- ‘There are two species of Kookaburra - the Blue Winged (also known as Leach Kingfisher, Howling Jackass and Barking Jackass) and the Laughing Kookaburra (also known as Giant Kingfisher, Laughing Jackass and Settler's (or Bushman's) Clock).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.