One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of cloth used for household cleaning.
rag, dishcloth, floorcloth, wipe, sponge, dusterView synonyms
- ‘Fortunately, Tuesday is the day my lovely French cleaner, Jean-Paul, comes in to whip round the place with a duster, some J-cloths and Fairy Liquid Power.’
- ‘I need a large supply of dusters or J-cloths to dust the books as I sort them.’
- ‘If food falls on the floor it should be thrown away - it is the work surfaces which must be kept clean (and not with old J-cloths!)’
- ‘5 Place a colander over a large bowl and lay in a large wet piece of muslin or a clean J-cloth.’
- ‘I've thought of everything - I'm in my worst clothes, I have brushes, rollers and a pole, and even some damp J-cloths ready to remove paint that strays onto the woodwork.’
1970s: J from J ohnson and Johnson, the original makers.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.