One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used in rejecting something specified.‘ixnay to corporate control!’
- ‘I just want to 2nd the ixnay on cutesy text messages… uh… and baking cookies together.’
- ‘Well, the couple is fighting back saying ixnay on those rumors.’
Cancel or stop.‘the group has ixnayed the rest of its North American tour’
- ‘Though President Bush ixnayed that idea, Wilkinson is still optimistic.’
- ‘I ixnayed all the pesticides like perm and BB. Haven't touched them in months. Went organic and it worked in about 17 days. I am not anemic anymore and I am starting to feel pretty good.’
- ‘The execs ixnayed the female first mate from the pilot, and he basically smuggled Nichelle Nicholls in under his coat, only mentioning offhand he was ‘going to add a little colour’ to the bridge crew.’
- ‘Yeah, i ixnayed the home-made dough and substituted a 2-pack of prepackaged stuff... pretty decent so far.’
1920s: pig Latin for nix.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.