One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The seed of a tropical American palm, which, when hardened, is a source of vegetable ivory.Also called tagua nut
- ‘The hard, ivory-like seeds (exported under the name of Polynesian ivory nuts, Tahiti-nuts, Südsee-Steinnüsse) are used for the production of buttons.’
- ‘Tagua nuts (or vegetable ivory nuts) are produced by a lovely Amazonian palm Phytelephas Aequatorialis meaning ‘elephant palm’.’
- ‘Conservation International is carrying out the Tagua Initiative project to promote sustainable harvest of the ivory nuts in rural communities in Esmeraldas Province as a means of protecting the forests in which this species occurs.’
- ‘Vegetable ivory or ivory nuts are primarily the nuts of the Tagua palm tree although other palms of the same subfamily also produce ivory nuts.’
- ‘The trees produce a vegetable ivory nut or seed called Tagua nut, they grow in large armored clusters with each cluster containing many nuts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.