Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A medical procedure whereby an egg is fertilized by sperm in a test tube or elsewhere outside the body.‘her twins had been conceived through IVF’[as modifier] ‘IVF treatment’
- ‘I was fortunate enough to undergo successful IVF treatment at the first attempt, resulting in the birth of twin daughters.’
- ‘Telling her about my IVF at an early stage meant we could work well as a team to cover any ante-natal absences.’
- ‘My second daughter was conceived by IVF and she's now 21 years old.’
- ‘The chance of multiple births is higher with IVF because more than one embryo is often put back in the woman's womb.’
- ‘She went for two IVF treatments; when both were unsuccessful, she and her husband decided to adopt.’
- ‘To prepare for IVF, a doctor induces superovulation in a woman, a condition in which she matures many eggs in one month, instead of the usual single egg.’
- ‘When couples undergo IVF in hopes of conceiving a child, the procedure nearly always creates more embryos than will be used.’
- ‘Following numerous IVF attempts, she struggled to accept her infertility.’
- ‘The issue of IVF brought with it many ethical issues which cause controversy to this day.’
- ‘Fertility treatment with donor eggs is normally carried out using IVF.’
- ‘He told me that because I needed to have my ovaries and fallopian tubes removed I had to consider whether I wanted to try IVF now before it was too late.’
- ‘Couples considering IVF must undergo an assessment at a fertility clinic before any treatment begins.’
1970s: short for in vitro fertilization.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.