Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A powder used to make someone's skin itch, typically as a practical joke.
- ‘Seat numbers were stuck on the back of joke shop novelties, which included itching powder and a fly in a plastic ice cube.’
- ‘Anne and Marie's roommate put itching powder on the toilet paper in Marie's bathroom.’
- ‘I'm been fortunate enough to escape the wrath of sneezing powder, and itching powder, so it was strange.’
- ‘She did some pretty mean stuff, like put shaving cream in his lunch, itching powder in his gym bag.’
- ‘The particular kind of itching powder we had purchased took 6-7 hours to activate, and I hoped that they would all be miserable.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.