One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Write or print (text) in italics.‘she italicized the unfamiliar phrase’‘changes of wording have been italicized’
bring attention to, call attention to, draw attention to, focus attention on, highlight, point up, spotlight, foreground, play up, make a point ofView synonyms
- ‘The strikethrough font identifies original language proposed for deletion while proposed changes are italicized in bold font.’
- ‘It includes a glossary whose entries are italicized when they first appear in the text.’
- ‘Almost everything would be italicised; many words would be in block capitals; new fonts would have to be invented.’
- ‘Legal citations are italicized and footnoted in the text.’
- ‘Almost every 10th word on a page is italicized, which is a flaw for two reasons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.