One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to an isthmus.
- ‘Such proposals as acquiring Hawaii, the Dominican Republic, and the Danish West Indies came to nothing at the time, as did plans for an isthmian canal and a worldwide telegraphic communications network.’
- ‘Butler alleged that his thin Marine units bled less to aid isthmian residents than to advance American corporations' interests.’
- ‘Under the Admiral, the class of 1897 considered ‘the naval problems arising in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico out of French interest in an isthmian canal.’’
- ‘He cofounded the Panama Paleontology Project in 1986, an international group of 30 scientists, to help support his isthmian research.’
- ‘More than ever the president suspected that Germany wanted to establish a strongly fortified place near the future isthmian canal.’
- 1.1 Relating to the Isthmus of Corinth in southern Greece.
- ‘The Baltimore Sun elaborates on an ongoing dispute over the decoding of Isthmian, a writing system whose linguistic base, let alone characters, are unclear.’
- ‘Finally, Mahan advocated and strongly urged the building of what he called an Isthmian canal.’
- ‘A 400-character mask inscription dating from the Mayan period appears to refute earlier claims to have translated Isthmian script.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.