1Relating to an isthmus.
- ‘He cofounded the Panama Paleontology Project in 1986, an international group of 30 scientists, to help support his isthmian research.’
- ‘Butler alleged that his thin Marine units bled less to aid isthmian residents than to advance American corporations' interests.’
- ‘Such proposals as acquiring Hawaii, the Dominican Republic, and the Danish West Indies came to nothing at the time, as did plans for an isthmian canal and a worldwide telegraphic communications network.’
- ‘More than ever the president suspected that Germany wanted to establish a strongly fortified place near the future isthmian canal.’
- ‘Under the Admiral, the class of 1897 considered ‘the naval problems arising in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico out of French interest in an isthmian canal.’’
- 1.1 Relating to the Isthmus of Corinth in southern Greece.
- ‘A 400-character mask inscription dating from the Mayan period appears to refute earlier claims to have translated Isthmian script.’
- ‘The Baltimore Sun elaborates on an ongoing dispute over the decoding of Isthmian, a writing system whose linguistic base, let alone characters, are unclear.’
- ‘Finally, Mahan advocated and strongly urged the building of what he called an Isthmian canal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.