One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The dried seeds of a southern Asian plantain, chiefly used medicinally in the treatment of dysentery.
The plantain is Plantago ovata, family Plantaginaceae
- ‘For constipation, a bulk-forming laxative, such as bran or ispaghula husk (eg Fybogel), can be helpful if it is hard to get enough fibre.’
- ‘It may help to take a fibre supplement such as ispaghula husk or mild laxatives such as lactulose solution, which soften bowel motions.’
- ‘Psyllium husk (referred to as ispaghula husk in the study) has the ability to absorb 40 times its own weight in moisture.’
- ‘Your GP may suggest fibre supplements, such as ispaghula or bulk-forming agents, if your symptoms do not improve.’
- ‘This soluble fiber derived from ispaghula seeds is found not only in Metamucil but also in many other bulk-fiber products sold to control constipation.’
Early 19th century: from Persian and Urdu ispaġol, from asp ‘horse’ + ġol ‘ear’ (because of the shape of the leaves).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.