One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound containing the group —N=C=S as a substituent or ligand.
- ‘Onions contain volatile chemicals of the isothiocyanate class.’
- ‘Broccoli, cabbage and other members of the brassica family contain sulforaphane as well as indoles and isothiocyanates, which appear to fight various cancers.’
- ‘Much credit for mustard's biofumigant effect against soilborne pests is given to isothiocyanates, chemical byproducts of the plants' decomposition.’
- ‘The pungency of wasabi, horseradish, Brussels sprouts, and mustards comes from compounds called isothiocyanates.’
- ‘Raw cabbage is rich in glucosinolate, which fermentation breaks down into isothiocyanates and other cancer-fighting compounds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.