Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a polymer in which all the repeating units have the same stereochemical configuration.
- ‘Best known for his work in polymer chemistry, Vandenberg independently discovered isotactic polypropylene.’
- ‘We recently reported the retardation of the rate of crystallization, measured calorimetrically, in isotactic polystyrene nucleated with silica.’
- ‘Nor have we found crystalline isotactic poly (para-methylstyrene) reported elsewhere in the literature.’
- ‘The original results in production of isotactic and stereoblock type polypropylenes are presented.’
- ‘This extremely desirable structure owes its elasticity to the isotactic nature of the polymer, and for this reason these polymers are used for the manufacturing of car tires.’
1950s: from iso- ‘equal’ + Greek taktos arranged + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.