Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a composition or part) in which the rhythm is often repeated but the pitch of the notes is varied each time.
- ‘On an apparent level, this work concerns the intellectual and technical challenges of conquering isorhythmic complexities.’
- ‘In each of Martin's Jadmi songs, however, the isorhythmic cycle always recommences at the beginning of the melodic descent.’
- ‘The vocal part, however, does not participate in the isorhythmic organization.’
- ‘Two of the most important composers of isorhythmic motets in the 14th century were Philippe de Vitry and Machaut.’
- ‘The melodic counterpart of isorhythmic patterning is the use of the same melodic phrase or line, each time at a different pitch level.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.