Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of an imaginary line or surface on a map or chart) connecting points in the ocean where the water has the same density.
- ‘It is further shown that features of the spatial structure of isopycnal displacement and velocity scales may be inferred from a single station that measures potential energy fluctuations.’
- ‘We anticipate that there will be unique problems in adapting various core isopycnal models to our new isopycnal system.’
- ‘Redfield ratios of remineralization are calculated based on chemical data analysis on isopycnal surfaces.’
- ‘Vertical viscosity is used to essentially eliminate Montgomery potential gradient errors near the intersection of isopycnal surfaces with topography.’
- ‘Since the isopycnal surfaces move with the fluid, this representation is in fact quasi-Lagrangian.’
Early 20th century: from iso- ‘equal’ + Greek puknos dense + -al.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.