Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of an imaginary line or surface on a map or chart) connecting points in the ocean where the water has the same density.
- ‘Vertical viscosity is used to essentially eliminate Montgomery potential gradient errors near the intersection of isopycnal surfaces with topography.’
- ‘We anticipate that there will be unique problems in adapting various core isopycnal models to our new isopycnal system.’
- ‘Since the isopycnal surfaces move with the fluid, this representation is in fact quasi-Lagrangian.’
- ‘It is further shown that features of the spatial structure of isopycnal displacement and velocity scales may be inferred from a single station that measures potential energy fluctuations.’
- ‘Redfield ratios of remineralization are calculated based on chemical data analysis on isopycnal surfaces.’
Early 20th century: from iso- ‘equal’ + Greek puknos dense + -al.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.