One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A volatile liquid hydrocarbon obtained from petroleum, whose molecule forms the basic structural unit of natural and synthetic rubbers.
- ‘He attempted to polymerize isoprene, which was known to be a component of rubber.’
- ‘Larger terpenes are uncommon, with the exception of polymeric isoprene, well known as rubber.’
- ‘Organolithium-initiated polymerization of isoprene was discovered in 1957.’
- ‘Researchers discovered the heatwave caused plants and trees to release a chemical called isoprene, which helps produce ozone in the atmosphere.’
- ‘One such experiment using iron sulphate fertilizer yielded troubling results such as release of isoprene, another GHG.’
Mid 19th century: apparently from iso- ‘equal’ + pr(opyl)ene.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.