Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crustacean of the order "Isopoda" , such as a woodlouse.
- ‘As we watched, cockroaches, earwigs, isopods, and other small arthropods ran to escape the advancing waves of ants.’
- ‘The water in the center of the atoll is undrinkable and holds only pond weed and biting isopods (a type of small crustacean).’
- ‘Studies of fouled arthropods include horseshoe crabs, isopods, stomatopods, lobsters, and true crabs.’
- ‘The precopulatory mate guarding of amphipods and isopods is another example of mating effort by males.’
- ‘The molting style of isopods provides the final problem for the interpretation of fossil isopods.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.