Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of physical exercises in which muscles are caused to act against each other or against a fixed object.
physical activity, movement, exertion, effort, workView synonyms
- ‘You can also exercise some of your body muscles while playing poker - basically using isometrics and taking a brisk walk every so often as a break from the table.’
- ‘High-tech isometrics helps persons on hypertension medication’
- ‘By the time dawn breaks I've already done my isometrics.’
- ‘This reaction occurs during activities that require a rapid and maximum application of force for a short duration, such as during isometrics and heavy weight training.’
- ‘Cruise calls 8 Minutes in the Morning ‘an all-new fitness program,’ but it seems like a throwback to the past since it is solidly built on a resurrection of isometrics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.