One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of physical exercises in which muscles are caused to act against each other or against a fixed object.
physical activity, movement, exertion, effort, workView synonyms
- ‘This reaction occurs during activities that require a rapid and maximum application of force for a short duration, such as during isometrics and heavy weight training.’
- ‘High-tech isometrics helps persons on hypertension medication’
- ‘You can also exercise some of your body muscles while playing poker - basically using isometrics and taking a brisk walk every so often as a break from the table.’
- ‘By the time dawn breaks I've already done my isometrics.’
- ‘Cruise calls 8 Minutes in the Morning ‘an all-new fitness program,’ but it seems like a throwback to the past since it is solidly built on a resurrection of isometrics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.