Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A hydrophobic amino acid that is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
- ‘Branched-chain amino acids are composed of leucine, isoleucine and valine, three of 18 amino acids that make up a complete protein.’
- ‘Key essential amino acids are valine, leucine, isoleucine, tryptophan and methionine.’
- ‘Relative to other protein sources, whey has a high concentration of branched-chain amino acids - leucine, isoleucine, and valine.’
- ‘ALS is a mitochondrial enzyme involved in the biosynthesis of the branched-chain amino acids isoleucine and valine.’
- ‘Contents of alanine, valine, isoleucine, and leucine were increased by anaerobic conditions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.