Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique of electrophoresis in which the resolution is improved by maintaining a pH gradient between the electrodes.
- ‘Sickle cell disease can be diagnosed in newborns, as well as older persons, by hemoglobin electrophoresis, isoelectric focusing, high-performance liquid chromatography or DNA analysis.’
- ‘Protein polymorphisms were detected using electrophoretic and isoelectric focusing methods modified from a variety of published sources.’
- ‘For this study, electromorphs were typed by agarose gel electrophoresis or isoelectric focusing.’
- ‘Proteins were separated by isoelectric focusing over a pH range of 3-10.’
- ‘Through the technique of isoelectric focusing, about 100 genetic variants of AAT have been identified to date.’
- ‘The first separation is achieved by isoelectric focusing that separates protein polypeptide chains according to amino acid composition.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.