Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A technique of electrophoresis in which the resolution is improved by maintaining a pH gradient between the electrodes.
- ‘Through the technique of isoelectric focusing, about 100 genetic variants of AAT have been identified to date.’
- ‘The first separation is achieved by isoelectric focusing that separates protein polypeptide chains according to amino acid composition.’
- ‘Protein polymorphisms were detected using electrophoretic and isoelectric focusing methods modified from a variety of published sources.’
- ‘Proteins were separated by isoelectric focusing over a pH range of 3-10.’
- ‘For this study, electromorphs were typed by agarose gel electrophoresis or isoelectric focusing.’
- ‘Sickle cell disease can be diagnosed in newborns, as well as older persons, by hemoglobin electrophoresis, isoelectric focusing, high-performance liquid chromatography or DNA analysis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.