One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Of or denoting the alkyl radical —CH₂CH(CH₃)₂, derived from isobutane.
- ‘Inhalation of amyl nitrite, as well as isobutyl nitrite, purportedly enhances sexual pleasure and produces euphoria.’
- ‘Two ketones (methyl isobutyl ketone and 5-ethyl cyclopentanone) were also identified.’
- ‘The carboxylic acid group of the drug is first reacted with an activated carbonyl group like that found on isobutyl chloroformate.’
- ‘I have done a bit of homespun research of my own into this group of compounds, of which there are five: butyl, ethyl, isobutyl, methyl and propyl paraben.’
- ‘There are two possible arrangements of the atoms in the butyl group, which means there are two isomers: n-butyl and isobutyl.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.