Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A curved chain of volcanic islands located at a tectonic plate margin, typically with a deep ocean trench on the convex side.
- ‘This may reflect that there has been some influx of material from a juvenile island arc.’
- ‘The basalt-chert succession points more probably to an island arc developed on oceanic crust.’
- ‘One model predicts tectonic wedging of the Solomon island arc beneath the Ontong Java plateau.’
- ‘These units originated as an oceanic plateau possibly formed atop an island arc before being accreted onto the Cordilleran orogen.’
- ‘The source for the conglomerate clasts was probably an island arc that was uplifted in the Early Devonian.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.