Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A curved chain of volcanic islands located at a tectonic plate margin, typically with a deep ocean trench on the convex side.
- ‘These units originated as an oceanic plateau possibly formed atop an island arc before being accreted onto the Cordilleran orogen.’
- ‘One model predicts tectonic wedging of the Solomon island arc beneath the Ontong Java plateau.’
- ‘The basalt-chert succession points more probably to an island arc developed on oceanic crust.’
- ‘This may reflect that there has been some influx of material from a juvenile island arc.’
- ‘The source for the conglomerate clasts was probably an island arc that was uplifted in the Early Devonian.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.