Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.
- ‘Or is there a new toxic brand of respectable liberal Islamophobia looming on the horizon of the Muslim schools debate?’
- ‘For those not aware of the background, last week a Muslim group published a report identifying widespread Islamophobia within Britain.’
- ‘British Muslims can peg their alienation solely on Islamophobia and intolerance for only so long.’
- ‘Seeing a political opportunity, the right has fused the less popular xenophobia with the more popular Islamophobia.’
- ‘Even in this predominantly Christian school, there is fear of being associated with Islamophobia and racism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.