One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.
- ‘British Muslims can peg their alienation solely on Islamophobia and intolerance for only so long.’
- ‘Even in this predominantly Christian school, there is fear of being associated with Islamophobia and racism.’
- ‘Seeing a political opportunity, the right has fused the less popular xenophobia with the more popular Islamophobia.’
- ‘Or is there a new toxic brand of respectable liberal Islamophobia looming on the horizon of the Muslim schools debate?’
- ‘For those not aware of the background, last week a Muslim group published a report identifying widespread Islamophobia within Britain.’
1920s: from Islam + -o- + -phobia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.