One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The religion of the Muslims, a monotheistic faith regarded as revealed through Muhammad as the Prophet of Allah.
- ‘The spiritual life of Islam is a means to a realization of faith and a perfection of practice.’
- ‘They argue Islam is a religion of peace and that Islamic faith is not the cause of terrorism.’
- ‘Muslims prefer and respect this name because it was the name of the last prophet of Islam.’
- ‘Is Islam a religion to suit the needs of any time and period or was it meant for a period that has passed?’
- ‘As with any religion, part of the message of Shia Islam is designed to appeal to the poor and the powerless.’
- ‘It does not cover cults within other world religions such as Islam and Hinduism.’
- ‘It is for this reason that the first pillar of Islam is faith in the existence of a divine being.’
- ‘People are forgetting that Islam is an international religion and Muslims come in every color.’
- ‘So I would say that we have more youth and women you know, attracted to the faith of Islam.’
- ‘He lived in north India at a time when it was under Mughal rule and when Islam was the religion of the rulers.’
- ‘Its very simplicity and directness has always made Islam a religion with great appeal.’
- ‘The last great world religion, Islam, arose not much more than a millennium later.’
- ‘Our faith of Islam commands us to speak out against injustice wherever it occurs.’
- ‘Groups such as the Deobandis assert his teachings on intellectual and mystical Islam.’
- ‘Is this an advertisement for Islam, a religion which respects and sanctifies human life?’
- ‘In Islam when the prophet Adam was on earth he and his family worshipped the one lord.’
- ‘He also is known to be in favor of declaring Islam as the official faith of the country.’
- ‘Khan also wrote in his letter that Islam or any other religion did not teach terrorism.’
- ‘There was nothing in the film which criticised Muslims as a community or Islam as a religion.’
- ‘Now we have to watch some other clerics on TV talking about Islam being a religion of peace.’
- 1.1 The Muslim world.‘the most enormous complex of fortifications in all Islam’
- ‘Not one character offers a sympathetic note on the religious or spiritual integrity of Islam.’
- ‘Political Islam is not quite as ancient, or as Arabian, as it would have us believe.’
- ‘Still, we have to take some steps of our own for the sake of the future of Islam and Muslims in India.’
- ‘To me it shows what little knowledge they have of Islam and how out of touch with Muslims they are.’
- ‘We can read the Koran and study Islam, but we are not Muslims and cannot know what Islam means to a Muslim.’
From Arabic 'islām ‘submission’, from 'aslama ‘submit (to God)’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.