One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the Bible) a descendant of Ishmael, the eldest son of Abraham.‘a company of Ishmaelite merchants’
- ‘The court welcomed foreigners - Philistines, Cretans, Hittites, and Ishmaelites are named, among others - and made use of their service.’
- ‘There are scholars who believe that the narrative begins at 26:34 with Esau's marriage to two Hittite women, and ends at 28:9 with his marriage to the Ishmaelite, Mahalath.’
- ‘His father was a Syrian, or a Persian, his mother was an Ishmaelite.’
- ‘When Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe and sold him for twenty shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites.’
- ‘They are valiant in war and they help their neighbours the Ishmaelites.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.