One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the Bible) a descendant of Ishmael, the eldest son of Abraham.‘a company of Ishmaelite merchants’
- ‘There are scholars who believe that the narrative begins at 26:34 with Esau's marriage to two Hittite women, and ends at 28:9 with his marriage to the Ishmaelite, Mahalath.’
- ‘They are valiant in war and they help their neighbours the Ishmaelites.’
- ‘The court welcomed foreigners - Philistines, Cretans, Hittites, and Ishmaelites are named, among others - and made use of their service.’
- ‘His father was a Syrian, or a Persian, his mother was an Ishmaelite.’
- ‘When Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe and sold him for twenty shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.