One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of belief or action that disregards or contradicts rational principles.
- ‘A partial list of what was then fashionable would necessarily include: Darwinism, idealism, irrationalism, vitalism, Marxism, socialism and positivism.’
- ‘What greater proof of their irrationalism could there be?’
- ‘It has the further advantage of not forcing us right from the beginning, and without any theoretical alternative, into outright relativism and irrationalism.’
- ‘The intended effect is the same - to suffocate all independent and critical thinking through the non-stop promotion of irrationalism, backwardness and lies.’
- ‘A large part of the difficulty is that the discourse of the populist Right is also often characterised by irrationalism and hyperbolic abuse.’
- ‘Respect someone for the quality of their beliefs, their content, not the quantity with which they're held, lest cruel irrationalism become valued for its very excesses.’
- ‘Overnight, the tendency of naturalistic rationalism to decay into postmodern irrationalism became a national joke.’
- ‘But toward the end of his life, irrationalism has become an ideology.’
- ‘And in a triumph of irrationalism, they announce that they are to be married.’
- ‘So much for the duller secularism's nonsense about irrationalism and whimsy.’
- ‘In a brilliant insight, Furedi claims that this instrumental downgrading of knowledge is just the flip side of postmodern irrationalism.’
- ‘By extending naturalism even to his own mind and soul, the materialist ends up sliding into his own morass of irrationalism and superstition.’
- ‘Proto-fascists drew on contemporary science (or rather pseudo-science) as well as irrationalism.’
- ‘In this sense, perhaps the best way to fight irrationalism is by promoting rationalism.’
- ‘He showed a growing distaste for surrealism because of its perceived irrationalism and its criticism of the USSR.’
- ‘The decline of Newton's reputation tracks the rise of irrationalism among Western literati.’
- ‘Unlike his contemporary American Minimalist Donald Judd, Arico sustained a kind of irrationalism, an anti-symmetry.’
- ‘It is time secular and self-proclaimed leftist intellectuals called off their romance with irrationalism and romanticism.’
- ‘The sleep of reason brings forth monsters, and in the past two decades or so the spread of irrationalism has produced monsters galore.’
- ‘In America, fairy tales are for children: acknowledged irrationalism is for youth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.