Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The process or fact of irradiating or being irradiated.‘ultraviolet irradiation’
light, lighting, radiance, gleam, glitter, brilliance, glow, glare, dazzle, flash, shimmerView synonyms
- ‘Under visible light irradiation, much longer durations were necessary to achieve similar absorbance decreases.’
- ‘UV-B irradiation was performed either in the absence of other light sources or in the presence of white light.’
- ‘After a prolonged period of dark growth, light irradiation does not elicit pigmentation.’
- ‘Cranial irradiation for tumors of the central nervous system can result in growth hormone deficiency.’
- ‘Food irradiation - unpopular in the past - is starting to gain more acceptance.’
- ‘Approximately 80 % of cells survived the ultraviolet irradiation.’
- ‘Much attention has been paid to what kind of DNA damage caused by UVA irradiation is responsible for the genotoxicity.’
- ‘Five days after gamma irradiation seedlings were stained for the presence of GUS.’
- ‘The quantification of these compounds was performed by chromatography before and after laser irradiation.’
- ‘Different concentrations of BPA as well as different periods of irradiation with thermal neutrons were studied.’
- ‘Patients receiving total body irradiation for bone marrow transplant conditioning must also be considered at risk.’
- ‘Of the 21 patients alive at the end of the follow-up, 17 had received postoperative irradiation.’
- ‘Neutron or ion irradiation hardens the material but not enough to prevent use in nuclear reactors.’
- ‘Most of the patients who are treated with radiation therapy are treated with external beam irradiation.’
- ‘At no time did the patient undergo cranial irradiation.’
- ‘But he stressed that irradiation is actually a process which should make some products safer.’
- ‘I recently finished a paper on food irradiation for my nuclear issues class.’
- ‘The use of postoperative adjuvant irradiation in breast conservation and after mastectomy is increasing.’
- ‘They also might be considered as anticancer drug candidates in combination with UVA irradiation.’
- ‘Currently, the two most common methods of sterilization are ethylene oxide treatment and gamma irradiation.’
The apparent extension of the edges of an illuminated object seen against a dark background.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.