One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of trees that produce very hard timber.
a southern African tree of the olive family (Olea laurifolia, family Oleaceae).
a North American tree related to the hornbeam (Ostrya virginiana, family Betulaceae).
- ‘The ironwood's branches are thick with growth.’
- ‘Sugar maples commonly share the forest with ironwood, beech, basswood, white ash, black cherry, yellow birch, white pine, and red oak.’
- ‘Foothill palo verde and ironwood - two small trees in the legume family - almost always dominate the dry streambeds.’
- ‘Later we tour his plantation, through virgin forest of soaring ironwood and banyan trees and rustly arcades of cardamom leaves, with clusters of young green pods at the base.’
- ‘The three dominant tree species of the forest canopy are sugar maple, ironwood, and white ash.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.