One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Intricate architectural decorative work in cast iron of a kind originally used on 19th-century terraced houses.‘everything was white, including the iron lace around an upstairs balcony’
- ‘It is a typical beach town with a large expanse of white sandy beaches lined with beautiful Victorian cottages trimmed with iron lace porches.’
- ‘The iron lace balconies of this Italianate-style townhouse make it one of the most striking in Mobile's historic district.’
- ‘She remembered ships on the wharf, verandas of iron lace.’
- ‘It was one of those big old country pubs, two stories high and wrapped in iron lace.’
- ‘It is a three-storey building with a balconied iron lace verandah.’
- ‘They rebuilt and remodelled their inner-city houses together, recycling iron roofing and iron lace.’
- ‘The presentation concluded as streamers and balloons swished and bobbed from the iron lace on the grandstand.’
- ‘The iron lace mansion has one of the most stunning and surprising interiors we've ever seen.’
- ‘Today, the terraces are prized for their Victorian flourishes, like the elegant iron lace decorating their balconies.’
- ‘She had never properly noticed the iron lace of the main street balconies before.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.