One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Intricate architectural decorative work in cast iron of a kind originally used on 19th-century terraced houses.‘everything was white, including the iron lace around an upstairs balcony’
- ‘Today, the terraces are prized for their Victorian flourishes, like the elegant iron lace decorating their balconies.’
- ‘The presentation concluded as streamers and balloons swished and bobbed from the iron lace on the grandstand.’
- ‘The iron lace mansion has one of the most stunning and surprising interiors we've ever seen.’
- ‘It is a three-storey building with a balconied iron lace verandah.’
- ‘She had never properly noticed the iron lace of the main street balconies before.’
- ‘The iron lace balconies of this Italianate-style townhouse make it one of the most striking in Mobile's historic district.’
- ‘It is a typical beach town with a large expanse of white sandy beaches lined with beautiful Victorian cottages trimmed with iron lace porches.’
- ‘She remembered ships on the wharf, verandas of iron lace.’
- ‘They rebuilt and remodelled their inner-city houses together, recycling iron roofing and iron lace.’
- ‘It was one of those big old country pubs, two stories high and wrapped in iron lace.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.