One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steam railway locomotive.‘the corporate boys who ride the iron horse into the city’
- ‘More than one iron horse came to a sudden and explosive end because its crew were sinking pints nearby, forgetting all about the rising pressure gauge and the screwed-down safety valves.’
- ‘The West was really won not by blue-coated cavalrymen, but thanks to iron horses funded in the east by speculators.’
- ‘But as the romance of steam shows, the symbolic power of the iron horse remains to this day as an emblem of a bygone masculine world.’
- ‘No longer are the great iron horses seen pounding their way along the coast.’
- ‘The railroad in America was sometimes called the iron horse, but in Russia (as in America) it was a wood-based system.’
- ‘They will be traveling by iron horse, sending a message to the many tribes that they are not stuffy, wealthy, and aristocratic New Englanders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.