One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In a couple of pieces of miscasting, Aaron Alexander plays Tybalt in such an irksomely casual manner as to make the character wholly unremarkable.’
- ‘It's little surprise she's sold 25m records worldwide: her songwriting is consistently brilliant and her voice almost irksomely angelic.’
- ‘But the artists and musicians, poets and students and philosophers of the old town proved irksomely irrepressible.’
- ‘Dickson's vocals are either irksomely whiny or in a growl better suited to a fifth-wave jam band than these tight pop melodies.’
- ‘Most of the conspirators were young officers, for whom promotion was irksomely slow and who had been reading German Romantic writers to ease their boredom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.