One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, typically greyish hound of a rough-coated breed.
- ‘It was then that her shaggy Irish wolfhound, Gatsby, padded over and butted her hand.’
- ‘Dogs running around in the ring and being judged wasn't that interesting to Jackson, it was too far away, even though there were big, highly visible Irish wolfhounds.’
- ‘Pamela Brown is marvelous in a small role as a sort of wild woman of the heath, traipsing about with a herd of Irish wolfhounds.’
- ‘‘I like to think of him as a bit of an old dog, like an old Irish wolfhound or something,’ he laughs.’
- ‘Are there no more Irish wolfhounds or Basset hounds?’
- ‘Decorated with intricate knot work, a harp and a shamrock, the emblems of the brigade, and with a bronze Irish wolfhound at the foot of the cross, it is reckoned by many to be the most beautiful memorial on the battlefield.’
- ‘Affected progeny were also observed from a second outcross breeding using a clinically normal Irish wolfhound.’
- ‘In addition to salukis, eligible breeds are whippets, greyhounds, Afghan hounds, borzois, Ibizan hounds, pharaoh hounds, Irish wolfhounds, and Scottish deerhounds.’
- ‘His West Belfast funeral, which featured a mile-long cortège led by an Irish wolfhound, was one of the largest funerals seen to that date.’
- ‘I agreed to go to Manchester Dogs' Home with Nicola because she wanted one and we both saw this little thing in with two huge Irish wolfhounds.’
- ‘They had everything from hideous beetles to hairy tarantulas that looked as though they could give an Irish wolfhound a run for its money.’
- ‘There is some good news, as the Corgi Protection Squad was more successful, with two black Labradors and an Irish wolfhound rounded up on the night.’
- ‘Any dog in that family known as sight hounds - lurchers, deerhounds, Irish wolfhounds.’
- ‘After another moment an Irish wolfhound appeared in front of Jen.’
- ‘A third group includes ancestors and descendants of herding-type dogs, such as the Irish wolfhound, the collie, the greyhound, and the Saint Bernard.’
- ‘A moment later a Saluki, Doberman, and an Irish wolfhound were running towards her while a black mare was also coming towards her.’
- ‘They were nominated for the tireless care they gave to two elderly Irish wolfhounds who have undergone numerous operations for malignant growths.’
- ‘Everything in and around the house was oversized, including his dog - an Irish wolfhound.’
- ‘Our Irish wolfhound has torn the anterior cruciate ligament in one of her hind legs, and the knee is going to require surgery.’
- ‘Marcus is obviously too good to be true from the moment he wafts on to the set of Donna's York-based fictional soap Westfield, Irish wolfhound Murphy in tow.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.