One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, typically greyish hound of a rough-coated breed.
- ‘A moment later a Saluki, Doberman, and an Irish wolfhound were running towards her while a black mare was also coming towards her.’
- ‘His West Belfast funeral, which featured a mile-long cortège led by an Irish wolfhound, was one of the largest funerals seen to that date.’
- ‘Decorated with intricate knot work, a harp and a shamrock, the emblems of the brigade, and with a bronze Irish wolfhound at the foot of the cross, it is reckoned by many to be the most beautiful memorial on the battlefield.’
- ‘They had everything from hideous beetles to hairy tarantulas that looked as though they could give an Irish wolfhound a run for its money.’
- ‘Pamela Brown is marvelous in a small role as a sort of wild woman of the heath, traipsing about with a herd of Irish wolfhounds.’
- ‘Dogs running around in the ring and being judged wasn't that interesting to Jackson, it was too far away, even though there were big, highly visible Irish wolfhounds.’
- ‘A third group includes ancestors and descendants of herding-type dogs, such as the Irish wolfhound, the collie, the greyhound, and the Saint Bernard.’
- ‘Affected progeny were also observed from a second outcross breeding using a clinically normal Irish wolfhound.’
- ‘It was then that her shaggy Irish wolfhound, Gatsby, padded over and butted her hand.’
- ‘Marcus is obviously too good to be true from the moment he wafts on to the set of Donna's York-based fictional soap Westfield, Irish wolfhound Murphy in tow.’
- ‘They were nominated for the tireless care they gave to two elderly Irish wolfhounds who have undergone numerous operations for malignant growths.’
- ‘In addition to salukis, eligible breeds are whippets, greyhounds, Afghan hounds, borzois, Ibizan hounds, pharaoh hounds, Irish wolfhounds, and Scottish deerhounds.’
- ‘After another moment an Irish wolfhound appeared in front of Jen.’
- ‘Are there no more Irish wolfhounds or Basset hounds?’
- ‘I agreed to go to Manchester Dogs' Home with Nicola because she wanted one and we both saw this little thing in with two huge Irish wolfhounds.’
- ‘Any dog in that family known as sight hounds - lurchers, deerhounds, Irish wolfhounds.’
- ‘There is some good news, as the Corgi Protection Squad was more successful, with two black Labradors and an Irish wolfhound rounded up on the night.’
- ‘‘I like to think of him as a bit of an old dog, like an old Irish wolfhound or something,’ he laughs.’
- ‘Everything in and around the house was oversized, including his dog - an Irish wolfhound.’
- ‘Our Irish wolfhound has torn the anterior cruciate ligament in one of her hind legs, and the knee is going to require surgery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.