One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dog of a breed of setter with a long, silky dark red coat and a long feathered tail.
- ‘A certain mutation has been shown to cause a completely red or yellow coat color in certain breeds such as Irish setters, yellow Labrador retrievers, and golden retrievers.’
- ‘Two brown-and-black Irish setters surrounded the children and started barking furiously.’
- ‘In the Piazza del Comune, the Irish setter that always lay in front of the confectionery store was gone.’
- ‘The Weimeraner is originally a sporting breed, like the Irish setter.’
- ‘Llewellyn was adventurous in his pursuit of the perfect field setter, breeding Gordon and Irish setters to Lavarack's stock.’
- ‘Out of the city in North Baddesley lives Hugo, a one-year-old Irish setter whose ‘official’ name is The Pearlfisher from Strathmead.’
- ‘A friend with a 5-month-old Irish setter called Rusty tells me that when Rusty is on the leash she is a perfect lady.’
- ‘He thought of how he loved watching her sitting on the grass with the Irish setter.’
- ‘I've known some golden retrievers and Irish setters that act like teenagers until they're six.’
- ‘In 1889 two officers at Fort Totten, Dakota Territory, who had received three Irish setters from back East were predicting a ‘great slaughter of birds this fall.’’
- ‘As I approached the gate by man I assumed was the gardener with an old Irish setter trotting at his heels.’
- ‘Dad once shook hands with a man who owned an Irish setter, which pretty much makes you emerald green to the core in these parts.’
- ‘He gave Rick a wide-eyed, pleading look, like an Irish setter expecting a reprimand.’
- ‘In our initial study of Mc1r variation in dogs, we determined the complete coding sequence in black and yellow Labrador retrievers, Newfoundlands, golden retrievers, Irish setters, flat-coated retrievers, and Doberman pinschers.’
- ‘Ayana watched him go, and then turned her attention to the female Irish setter sitting closest to her.’
- ‘An Irish setter leaned up close to Duffy and gazed into his pale blue eyes.’
- ‘Other sources indicate the Irish setter was used in early breeding - the collie's sable color may be the indirect result of such a cross.’
- ‘I've been able to read my favourite things again - Gardener's World Magazine, a newsletter about Irish setter dogs, and your newspaper!’
- ‘He nearly nailed a big Irish setter a hundred feet to the right of the runway that time. The spasmodic leap, then bewilderment on that dog's face was the stuff of campfire-story legend.’
- ‘The Irish setter, owned by N. Raghuraj of Bangalore, claimed a double, the best dog bred in India and best on show while the boxer owned by Jamitt Henry was adjudged the best puppy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.