One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A full point scored in judo, karate, and other martial sports.‘he threw his opponent in the preliminary round for ippon’
- ‘In Judo competition the objective is to score an ippon (one full point).’
- ‘In 1925, the Butokukai ruled that once an opponent was lifted up to the shoulder level, an ippon should be called.’
- ‘Penalties play a major part in judo, and contestants are punished in different ways, ranging from a koka for small offences to an ippon for the most serious.’
- ‘It took 12 minutes 57 seconds for Kimura to score 6 ippons in this championship.’
- ‘In November 1954, in Mannheim, Germany, Hirano scored all ippons in 34 minutes against 54 black belt opponents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.