Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A technique of introducing ionic medicinal compounds into the body through the skin by applying a local electric current.
- ‘During sweat stimulation, a variety of chemicals are used at the negative electrode to complete the circuit during iontophoresis.’
- ‘Other delivery vehicles for topical anesthesia currently in development, including iontophoresis and anesthetic patches, may one day give patients and physicians even more flexibility.’
- ‘If symptoms are not relieved, physical therapy that includes ultrasonography, massage, and iontophoresis should be considered.’
- ‘A process called iontophoresis applies electricity to the affected area.’
- ‘Magnetic insoles have no demonstrated benefit, nor does therapeutic ultrasonography, laser therapy, iontophoresis, or electron-generating devices.’
Early 20th century: from ion, on the pattern of electrophoresis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.