Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique of introducing ionic medicinal compounds into the body through the skin by applying a local electric current.
- ‘Other delivery vehicles for topical anesthesia currently in development, including iontophoresis and anesthetic patches, may one day give patients and physicians even more flexibility.’
- ‘A process called iontophoresis applies electricity to the affected area.’
- ‘During sweat stimulation, a variety of chemicals are used at the negative electrode to complete the circuit during iontophoresis.’
- ‘If symptoms are not relieved, physical therapy that includes ultrasonography, massage, and iontophoresis should be considered.’
- ‘Magnetic insoles have no demonstrated benefit, nor does therapeutic ultrasonography, laser therapy, iontophoresis, or electron-generating devices.’
Early 20th century: from ion, on the pattern of electrophoresis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.