Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance which is able to transport particular ions across a lipid membrane in a cell.with modifier ‘calcium ionophores’
- ‘The presence of K + ionophores eliminates the osmotic pressure due to K + ions.’
- ‘The same holds for the application of a transmembrane potential that is limited to the generation of a diffusion potential by the usage of ion-specific ionophores.’
- ‘Temperature altered the membrane properties homogeneously, whereas the ionophore increased order heterogeneously.’
- ‘Control experiments were conducted with ionomycin added in the absence of divalent cation to identify any contributions to laurdan fluorescence caused directly by the ionophore.’
- ‘Light microscopy of stained mitochondria from the mutant cells treated with nigericin revealed that the ionophore was able to restore their defective morphology to an almost normal appearance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.