One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device which produces ionization, especially one used to improve the quality of the air in a room.
- ‘In some cases, the ionizers were used in combination with portable air filters, instead of the botanical extract.’
- ‘A special brush is supplied with the monitor to clean the ionizer as its gets dusty with use.’
- ‘According to the company's president, the bulb uses no toxic chemicals, is more cost-effective than HEPA filters and air ionizers, which only trap airborne particles.’
- ‘During the second half of the trial, the ionisers were switched on, with impressive results which led to a dramatic fall in certain types of infection.’
- ‘The third electrode may also be used to switch the mode of operation of the discharge source from a gas phase ionizer to an electrospray ionizer.’
- ‘This system helps to prolong the life of the ionizer.’
- ‘The software allows for complete head control with mass scale tuning, sensitivity calibration, and ionizer setup.’
- ‘During operation of the electrical ionizer, the output voltage value of the ion balance sensor is compared with the set point voltage value.’
- ‘And I won't venture a guess as to how many customers will be as thrilled about the integrated air ionizer as to prefer this model to others…’
- ‘These were alpha particles, which were powerful ionizers but easily absorbed, and beta particles, which were less effective but far more penetrating.’
- ‘An ioniser works by circulating air and trapping airborne particulates such as diesel exhaust fumes, tobacco smoke and dust on an electrostatically charged ring.’
- ‘But ionizers don't work any better than high-efficiency particulate air filters or electrostatic filters in removing allergens from the air.’
- ‘The ionizer for the main reactor was torn to shreds.’
- ‘The supercharged ionizer / dust collection system appears able to do the job.’
- ‘The cylindrical, polished glass cuvette (outer diameter of 10 mm) was run under an ionizer to minimize unwanted light scatter and static charge before each experiment.’
- ‘The unit also contains an revolutionary infrared filter which is seen as the biggest advance in the construction of electronic water ionizers in years.’
- ‘The family never suffers from hay fever or allergies because ionisers monitor online pollen reports and keep the air dust-free.’
- ‘Bailey W. Mitchell, an agricultural engineer, developed the ionizer system, in cooperation with veterinarian Henry D. Stone.’
- ‘Some personal ionizers run on batteries and hang around your neck.’
- ‘Many of the harm reduction strategies used by the parents, such as opening windows when smoking and using fans and ionisers, were ineffective.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.