Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The exchange of ions of the same charge between an insoluble solid and a solution in contact with it, used in water-softening and other purification and separation processes.
- ‘A process called ion exchange exists whereby ions in solution are exchanged for ions that are bound on the surface of a resin.’
- ‘Solutions passed through a filter bed of zeolite minerals undergo ion exchange as particular ions or molecules become trapped within the crystal lattice.’
- ‘Tertiary treatment is a combination of treatments or advanced methods such as distillation, ion exchange, reverse osmosis, and the like.’
- ‘Blood vessel dilation is due to blockage of calcium channels in smooth muscle cells or inhibition of sodium-calcium ion exchange.’
- ‘Nitrate can be removed from drinking water by three methods: distillation, reverse osmosis and ion exchange.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.