One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The exchange of ions of the same charge between an insoluble solid and a solution in contact with it, used in water-softening and other purification and separation processes.
- ‘Nitrate can be removed from drinking water by three methods: distillation, reverse osmosis and ion exchange.’
- ‘Solutions passed through a filter bed of zeolite minerals undergo ion exchange as particular ions or molecules become trapped within the crystal lattice.’
- ‘Blood vessel dilation is due to blockage of calcium channels in smooth muscle cells or inhibition of sodium-calcium ion exchange.’
- ‘Tertiary treatment is a combination of treatments or advanced methods such as distillation, ion exchange, reverse osmosis, and the like.’
- ‘A process called ion exchange exists whereby ions in solution are exchanged for ions that are bound on the surface of a resin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.