Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The chemical element of atomic number 53, a non-metallic element forming black crystals and a violet vapour.
the elderView synonyms
- ‘Results showed a significant improvement in the iron, iodine and vitamin A status of these children compared to a control group.’
- ‘The importance of studying thyroid function in these children is that the gland can concentrate and bind iodine.’
- ‘The most common trace element deficiencies in cattle are copper, selenium, iodine and cobalt.’
- ‘Other trace elements such as iodine, uranium, nickel, lead, iron, and lithium also exist in the Dead Sea water.’
- ‘The synthesis of these hormones requires the amino acid tyrosine and the trace mineral iodine.’
- ‘Starch granules were visualized upon reaction with iodine/potassium iodine.’
- ‘These can be found through the detection of gases such as sulphur dioxide, hydrogen sulphide, and vapours of mercury, iodine, and radon.’
- ‘Dry chlorine, iodine, bromine and fluorine cause little or no corrosion of magnesium at room or slightly elevated temperature.’
- ‘The blasts are caused by chemical reactions within the units which create volatile hydrogen gas, iodine gas or lithium iodine.’
- ‘A similar reaction occurs with bromine but not with iodine or fluorine.’
- ‘The chemical element iodine is a major component of thyroid hormones.’
- ‘Dried maca root is rich in amino acids, iodine, iron, and magnesium.’
- ‘Less abundant elements, which are equally necessary for life, include calcium, manganese, iron, and iodine.’
- ‘A less expensive option is to treat water with chlorine or iodine, as is typically done with municipal water.’
- ‘The thyroid, a gland in the neck, takes up the element iodine from food that is eaten.’
- ‘Drink only water that you have boiled or treated with chlorine or iodine.’
- ‘A good water filter or purifier and correct usage of iodine or chlorine with knowledge of the time they take can keep you well.’
- ‘According to international agencies, millions of children suffer from deficiencies of iron, iodine and vitamin A.’
- ‘The halogens are a group of chemical elements that includes fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.’
- ‘Some examples of those that do sublime readily are carbon dioxide and iodine.’
- 1.1A solution of iodine in alcohol, used as a mild antiseptic.
- ‘Norm was instantly on hand with all sorts of potions; antiseptic, iodine, everything.’
- ‘Doctor Cantor washed clotted black blood from Tribe's face and applied iodine to the cuts.’
- ‘To prevent the highly infectious scourge, Turner is vigilant about daily hoof cleaning and treatment with iodine.’
- ‘It is indicated for the cleaning of acute and chronic wounds infected/colonized with bacteria sensitive to iodine.’
- ‘A vinegar and water douche is substituted for patients who are sensitive to iodine.’
- ‘I sloshed iodine into the bowl I'd brought down, and handed it to Traci.’
- ‘Apply ethanol, tincture or aqueous solution of iodine, if available.’
- ‘The abdomen of each animal was shaved and prepared with iodine.’
- ‘Povidone-iodine is a solution commonly used if the patient is not allergic to iodine.’
- ‘Identify landmarks and prepare the insertion site with iodine or alcohol solution.’
- ‘Not so long ago, tincture of iodine was one of the most popular of antiseptics.’
- ‘An iodophor/alcohol prep combines the benefits of iodine and alcohol in a water insoluble film.’
- ‘First off you'll need a scalpel, a bottle of iodine, a protein catalyst solution and a non-corrosive oxidising biophage agent, cotton swabs and a lot of patience.’
Early 19th century: from French iode (from Greek iōdēs violet-coloured, from ion violet + -eidēs like) + -ine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.