Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Introduce iodine into (a compound).
- ‘The large number of irregular densities found throughout the tumor are from the injection of Lipiodol, an oily iodinated agent to carry the chemotherapy agents into the tumor.’
- ‘Even bigger increases in iodine intake came in the 1960s, when iodinated additives, sterilizing agents and food colorings began to be used in industrial bread, milk and cereal production.’
- ‘In some European countries, mucolytic agents (such as bromhexine or iodinated glycerol) are widely used to treat chronic bronchitis.’
- ‘MRI is the preferred noninvasive imaging modality because it does not need x-ray exposure and no potentially nephrotoxic, iodinated contrast agents.’
- ‘This study reported no significant difference in exacerbation rates between iodinated glycerol and placebo, but the summary statistics were not available.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.