One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A limited company whose business is the investment of shareholders' funds, the shares being traded like those of any other public company.
- ‘Another option could be investing in a global fund, like a large investment trust.’
- ‘With times uncertain and markets volatile, I bought some shares in this investment trust a few weeks ago.’
- ‘A REIT, or a real estate investment trust, is essentially a mutual fund that owns real estate rather than stock.’
- ‘In a flat to rising market an investment trust will usually give you higher returns than an equivalent unit trust.’
- ‘Another low-cost savings scheme is an investment trust.’
- ‘While it is unlikely that ordinary shares in an investment trust will become worthless, it is also quite possible that the value of a warrant will be worthless when it expires.’
- ‘A call warrant is effectively a medium- to long-term option to buy shares in a company or in an investment trust.’
- ‘Founded in 1868, Foreign and Colonial Investment Trust is the largest investment trust in the world.’
- ‘Humphries highlighted the fact the management charges on an investment trust such as British Assets are significantly lower than those on unit trust.’
- ‘So, by buying shares in the investment trust, you get exposure to a wide range of underlying investments.’
- ‘This commercial real estate investment trust in the Southeast expanded without discipline in the 1990s.’
- ‘You might choose to hand pick your shares in the UK, while also investing in US and European index trackers and an Asian investment trust.’
- ‘Investment trust shares are traded on the stock market just like any other shares.’
- ‘Ramco is a publicly traded real estate investment trust that owns and manages 64 shopping centers in 12 states.’
- ‘Company law is quite clear that a director's first duty is to the shareholders, which in the case of an investment trust means the individual private investors.’
- ‘For Irish investors it probably makes most sense to take the unit trust or investment trust route.’
- ‘When saving smaller regular amounts, the best way to invest in the stock market is through a unit or investment trust.’
- ‘The way these work is to have different ‘classes’ of shares that share an investment trust's assets between them.’
- ‘The investment trust specialises in property shares and property assets.’
- ‘The fund is structured as a unit investment trust.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.