Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who carries out a formal inquiry or investigation.‘accident investigators are at the crash site’‘investigators found no signs of forced entry’
inspector, examiner, enquirer, explorer, analyserresearcher, scrutineer, scrutinizer, factfinder, prober, surveyor, searcher, checker, monitordetective, questioner, inquisitorView synonyms
- ‘The Revenue investigators act more like private detectives than civil servants.’
- ‘Furthermore, that is a question into which no investigator or prosecutor can enquire.’
- ‘The investigators at the site included operations and engineering experts.’
- ‘Private investigators have traditionally been perceived as shadowy and devious.’
- ‘The Italian and Spanish operations gave British investigators many new leads.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.