Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme produced by yeast which catalyses the hydrolysis of sucrose, forming invert sugar.
- ‘Grape sugar is mainly composed of glucose and fructose, produced after sucrose hydrolysis by invertase during grapevine maturation.’
- ‘The major function of invertase is to catalyse sucrose hydrolysis.’
- ‘Enzymes shown are invertase, sucrose synthase, cytosolic AGPase, and plastidic AGPase.’
- ‘Soluble sugars were determined colorimetrically after hydrolysis of sucrose by invertase.’
- ‘Stressed cells also had higher activities of sucrose cleaving enzymes, such as alkaline invertase and sucrose synthase.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.