Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An enzyme produced by yeast which catalyses the hydrolysis of sucrose, forming invert sugar.→ sucrase
- ‘Stressed cells also had higher activities of sucrose cleaving enzymes, such as alkaline invertase and sucrose synthase.’
- ‘Soluble sugars were determined colorimetrically after hydrolysis of sucrose by invertase.’
- ‘The major function of invertase is to catalyse sucrose hydrolysis.’
- ‘Enzymes shown are invertase, sucrose synthase, cytosolic AGPase, and plastidic AGPase.’
- ‘Grape sugar is mainly composed of glucose and fructose, produced after sucrose hydrolysis by invertase during grapevine maturation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.