Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person or group that invades a country, region, or other place.‘it is a country that has repelled all invaders’‘the arrival of Spanish invaders’
intruder, trespasser, violator, encroacher, infringerattacker, raider, plunderer, pillager, marauder, looterView synonyms
- ‘It's not easy, as we are constantly having to repel invaders, swatting them away like so many mosquitoes.’
- ‘The programme will examine archaeological and genetic evidence to trace the impact the invaders had on Britain.’
- ‘By the age of 16, this son of peasant farmers was in charge of a country under attack from Communist invaders.’
- ‘He located a tire iron amid the stinging rubble and sprang forth to attack the invaders.’
- ‘His cross is the same as the cross of Wotan which Norse invaders of Scotland carried.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.