A complex of sugar present in the roots of various plants and used medically to test kidney function. It is a polysaccharide based on fructose.
- ‘Prebiotics are complex carbohydrates - oligosaccharides, such as inulin and short-chain sugars.’
- ‘While neither sugar beet fiber nor inulin had a metabolic effect on the dogs, guar gum resulted in decreased postprandial insulin and fasting cholesterol.’
- ‘It contains taraxasterol, choline, inulin and pectin.’
- ‘The polysaccharides used were levan from Bacillus subtilis, inulin DP 10 from chicory root, and dextran.’
- ‘Another sugar replacement option is inulin and oligofructose fibers, used as bulking agents in conjunction with high intensity sweeteners.’
Early 19th century: from Latin inula (identified by medieval herbalists with elecampane) + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.