Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Examine one's own thoughts or feelings.‘what they don't do is introspect much about the reasons for their plight’
- ‘The potentially spiritual human being introspects and detects no inner spiritual fire.’
- ‘While introspecting, we remain conscious subjects.’
- ‘In fact, we are encouraged to introspect and make deep, lasting spiritual changes in ourselves in the year ahead of us, as we leave behind our old, sin-spotted selves, and strive to become the people God wants us to be.’
- ‘‘After all these years of senseless occurrences, it is time now to introspect with all these innocent deaths,’ he said.’
- ‘The leader has no need to control but rather is content to observe, to let things unfold, to introspect, and to ponder the meaning of something in a mindful way.’
- ‘In the last five years, I have been spending time thinking, introspecting and analysing life.’
- ‘As we celebrate Christmas and move into a new year, we must as a people truly introspect to realise the deeper significance of respecting the diversity of our brothers and sisters.’
- ‘We betrayed our allies and hurried home, to introspect.’
- ‘They must introspect more about the quality of their law enforcement work.’
- ‘I think increasingly we're going to have people introspecting as to what they want out of life, what they should be doing with their lives; fearing that they're not as good as other people.’
- ‘With his contemporary style of presentation, the participants found a brand new life waiting for them as they introspected and discovered their potential as human beings.’
- ‘Secondary sources written close to the events and those with more time to introspect also confirm this attribution.’
- ‘Even if you do not recall being abused, the novel theory of rediscovered memories allows you to claim that he actually did, although you did not know it until an abuse therapist helped you to introspect in middle age.’
- ‘What he thought a self was, was just a kind of continuity of impressions but that when we introspect we can't really find anything that we call ourselves.’
- ‘This paper suggests a wider and deeper understanding of human sexuality as being essentially different than that of other mammals because of our ability to self-reflect and introspect.’
- ‘Well you can introspect, I can attend to consciousness outside my visual field but as soon as I do I've changed the phenomena, I've turned it into consciousness within attention.’
- ‘Every day we introspect, one need not wait for 25 years to reflect what one should do in the next 25 years also.’
- ‘Candlelight vigils, teddy bears and gardens full of flowers notwithstanding, the town is unable to introspect on the real reasons for the tragedy.’
- ‘So consciousness is perhaps unnecessarily a deep mystery and one solution to the problem is a kind of a dissolution, it's the claim that well it's a kind of pseudo-problem that we construct we introspect and think about ourselves.’
- ‘As Muslims we need to daily introspect - our lifestyles, our habits and our character - building etiquettes that form the essence of every human being.’
Late 17th century: from Latin introspect- ‘looked into’, from the verb introspicere, or from introspectare ‘keep looking into’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.