Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The male copulatory organ of an animal.
- ‘Males in the live-bearing species have intromittent organs.’
- ‘Each male possesses two intromittent organs, one on either side of the body, only one of which is everted during a single copulation.’
- ‘However, in about half of the poeciliids, males do not display, females never cooperate during copulation and all matings are achieved by thrusting the intromittent organ toward the genital pore of apparently unaware females.’
- ‘Unlike most bird species, drakes possess a penis-like intromittent organ, which allows males to deposit the ejaculate deep inside the female's reproductive tract.’
- ‘This may be facilitated by the possession of an intromittent organ by males, an extremely unusual feature in birds, occurring in only 3% of all species.’
Mid 19th century: intromittent from Latin intromittent- introducing, from the verb intromittere, from intro- to the inside + mittere send.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.