Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The transfer of genetic information from one species to another as a result of hybridization between them and repeated backcrossing.
- ‘Therefore, there is the potential for gene introgression across species via backcross of hybrid females to the parental species.’
- ‘The two populations allow for a comparative phenotypic analysis of species-specific genome introgressions in a common genetic background.’
- ‘In the absence of selection against genetic introgression, the incipient species should fuse.’
- ‘This would rule out scenarios of numt evolution involving horizontal transfer or introgression between species.’
- ‘To introduce desirable genes from blue catfish into channel catfish through introgression, a genetic linkage map is helpful.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin introgredi step in, from intro- to the inside + gradi proceed, walk, on the pattern of egression, ingression.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.