One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. The first intifada lasted from 1987 to 1993, and the second began in 2000.
- ‘He lost his foot during a helicopter attack in the early days of the intifada, or uprising.’
- ‘Before the intifada, 125,000 Palestinians crossed daily from Gaza into Israel to work.’
- ‘Once again the Palestinian Authority is expected to end the intifada.’
- ‘The mix of post-1967 wars, revolutions, occupations, acts of ethnic cleansing, intifadas, and civil wars with the condition of being a victim creates a murderously explosive brew.’
- ‘Despite this, a poll last week showed that 85 percent of Palestinians want the intifada to continue.’
- ‘The Palestinian intifada, or uprising, broke out two years ago this Saturday.’
- ‘He was in command of the Israeli army on the West Bank when the first Palestinian uprising or intifada began in 1987.’
- ‘One in four of the Palestinians killed in the intifada uprising against Israel, for example, have been Christians.’
- ‘The Persian Gulf War put an end to the first intifada and led Israelis and Arabs into Oslo.’
- ‘Since the end of the second intifada Palestinian theatre has begun to thrive again.’
- ‘It was given an impetus by the first Palestinian intifada, or uprising, which started in 1987.’
- ‘Remember the story about the first Palestinian killed at the beginning of the intifada last year?’
- ‘The current intifada has shown the impossibility of sustaining the occupation.’
- ‘Tourists have been deterred by the Palestinian intifada and Israeli repression.’
- ‘There has been a three year long intifada, or uprising, against Israeli occupation.’
- ‘Over 350 people have died since the beginning of the intifada, or Palestinian uprising, three months ago.’
- ‘Since the intifada the Revolutionary Socialists have been more and more visible.’
- ‘The IDF spokesman said that the Palestinian Authority was losing control of the intifada.’
- ‘The Israeli response to the second intifada has caused the Palestinian economy to collapse.’
- ‘This is the source of the intifada, the uprising of Palestinian youth and workers against the Israeli regime.’
Arabic intifāḍa ‘an uprising’ (literally ‘a jumping up as a reaction to something’), from intifaḍa ‘be shaken, shake oneself’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.