One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[with object]usually as adjective interwound
Wind together.‘a transformer consists of two interwound coils’
entwine, interweave, interlace, interthread, intertwist, twist, coil, twirl, ravel, lace, braid, plait, knitView synonyms
- ‘The two monomers are interwound, forming a lobster-like structure with two flexible arms consisting of two antiparallel-ribbons.’
- ‘The inverted conformation is now a positive trefoil, and two different catenanes result from the reaction-a negatively single-linked catenane or a catenane formed by double helical interwinding.’
- ‘It was found that an interwound configuration describes the data well, provided interactions among supercoils are accounted for in the second virial approximation.’
- ‘The two HC, a-helical domains are helically interwound, giving the molecules a long, rigid superhelical structure with 2 globular headpieces.’
- ‘Surprisingly, the soft denatured region is most often found in positions where the interwound superhelix forms branches, unlike permanently curved regions, which tend to localize in the apex of the superhelix.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.