One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Existing in the period between two wars, especially the two world wars (i.e. between 1918 and 1939).
- ‘The same was true of various attempts made by the League of Nations during the interwar period to achieve world disarmament.’
- ‘Life in the neglected U.S. Army of the interwar years is often portrayed as routine, dull, and unchallenging.’
- ‘Indeed, the current interwar period is beginning to resemble the interwar period from 1871 to 1914.’
- ‘Decision-makers and public opinion in the interwar period yearned for stability and an end to war-induced disruption.’
- ‘Old-style fascism of the interwar period is unlikely to reemerge.’
- ‘During the interwar period, the question of the appropriate position of women was subject to national discussion.’
- ‘As none other, he could evoke Japan of the eventful interwar period.’
- ‘Indeed, even in the interwar period, when it was thought to be entirely disengaged, it was still a critical factor in international relations.’
- ‘Services were disrupted during World War I and the interwar period witnessed few new developments except for the introduction of diesel motorships.’
- ‘In part because of America's absence, the fledgling organization recorded few achievements in the interwar period.’
- ‘The army organized twenty-nine Guard observation squadrons during the interwar period.’
- ‘The murder at Marseilles was one of the most appalling events of the interwar period.’
- ‘There was a genuine whiff of the interwar fascist dictatorship of Mussolini.’
- ‘As noted already, the past 15 years comprised principally a postwar, or interwar, period.’
- ‘The local Jewish populations, already in decline during the interwar period of independence, had been decimated.’
- ‘During the First World War and the interwar years, however, growth slowed.’
- ‘Simon Wiesenthal was born in Galicia, Ukraine, in 1908, an area which became part of Poland during the interwar years.’
- ‘But exports of manufactured paper products also grew well beyond the levels of the interwar period.’
- ‘Given the context of Europe in the interwar period, these are words that should be handled with the greatest caution.’
- ‘The period covering the two world wars and the interwar Great Depression was one of falling FDI.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.