One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation caused by the rubbing of one area of skin on another.
- ‘Inflammation of perineal skin folds is called intertrigo.’
- ‘Pigmentation is enhanced after healing of superficial inflammation like intertrigo.’
- ‘The differential diagnosis of erythrasma includes psoriasis, dermatophytosis, candidiasis, and intertrigo.’
- ‘The severe inflammation is less common for intertrigo alone, and a likely incomplete response to antifungal treatment would prompt a search for other diagnostic possibilities.’
- ‘In addition to potentially life-threatening conditions, extremely obese patients may be troubled by conditions associated with skin compression, such as intertrigo and venous stasis ulcers.’
Early 18th century: from Latin, ‘a sore place caused by rubbing’, from interterere ‘rub against each other’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.